One of the common cases of summer illnesses peaking in the country is miliaria rubra, which is commonly known as heat rash. It is often associated with babies and children but still can occur to anyone, especially in the stifling summer heat. People who are overweight, and those who sweat so easily, are also more likely to get heat rash.
When sweat glands are blocked, the sweat produced cannot get to the surface of the skin to evaporate, which causes inflammation that appears as reddened skin with tiny blisters. These come with an itchy, prickly feeling, and may also swell mildly. Heat rash may appear on the back, under the arms, near the groin, and in the neck.
Preventing heat rash
- Keep your skin cool by wearing loose cotton clothing, and avoid overdressing.
- Take cool baths or showers.
- Use lightweight bedding for a cooler, more comfortable sleep. Keep your sleeping area cool and well-ventilated.
- Drink plenty of fluid to avoid dehydration.
Heat rash home treatments
- Wash the reddened area with cool water and mild soap. Allow your skin to air dry, and avoid rubbing with a towel as it may irritate it more. Allow the skin to cool off by remaining in a well-ventilated, cool area.
- Use an aloe vera gel on your heat rash to relieve discomfort, this can help soothe swelling and pain.
- Oatmeal is also an effective remedy which can be readily available in your home. It helps relieve itching and inflammation of heat rash and a number of other skin conditions.
Put 1 or 2 cups of oatmeal in a lukewarm bath and soak the affected area for 20 minutes. Afterward, allow your skin to air dry.
- You may also use a calamine lotion to help soothe the itchiness.
Should the symptoms become severe, instantly seek advice from your doctor.
2 Comments on “How to Prevent and Treat Heat Rash”
Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice post.
I actually wanted to post a brief comment to be able to express gratitude to you for all of the wonderful items you are giving at this site. My extended internet search has now been compensated with awesome know-how to go over with my good friends. I would claim that we website visitors actually are quite fortunate to exist in a useful website with many lovely individuals with interesting opinions. I feel rather privileged to have encountered the site and look forward to many more cool moments reading here. Thanks again for all the details.